ANSYS SpaceClaim and the basics of file import
With the launch of ANSYS back in the 1970s, the software has undergone various design changes and upgrades. One of the most prominent upgrades to 3D designing and modeling of ANSYS is the introduction of ANSYS SpaceClaim.
Table of Contents (click to navigate)
- What is ANSYS SpaceClaim?
- Why ANSYS SpaceClaim over Design modeler?
- Ease of use
- Versatility and Flexibility
- Import procedure of ANSYS SpaceClaim
- Importing CAD files into SCDM (SpaceClaim Direct Modeler) using Workbench
- Importing SpaceClaim Geometry into the Design Modeler
- How to import SpaceClaim Geometry into Mechanical APDL
- How to start ANSYS Workbench before SpaceClaim?
- How to start ANSYS SpaceClaim before workbench
- The future of ANSYS SpaceClaim
What is ANSYS SpaceClaim?
ANSYS SpaceClaim is a multipurpose 3D modeling and designing an application that is used to provide efficient solutions to common modeling tasks. SpaceClaim was acquired by ANSYS from SpaceClaim Corporation in 2014. ANSYS SpaceClaim is an alternative to the ANSYS design modeler and set to become the primary ANSYS 3D modeling application in the newer version of ANSYS. SpaceClaim is built upon direct modeling technology and can remove various geometry problems associated with 3D CAD operations such as concept and design modeling, preparing CAD files and complete model editing. With its simplicity and ease of use, ANSYS SpaceClaim helps the user carry out their simulations in the most effective manner.
Why ANSYS SpaceClaim over Design modeler?
ANSYS design modeler was the primary 3D modeler for the software until the acquisition of SpaceClaim from ANSYS. ANSYS SpaceClaim has several benefits over its predecessor some of which are discussed below.
ANSYS SpaceClaim is well known for its speed as it can create, repair and edit 2D and 3D CAD models with an efficient fashion. The user can easily share their ideas with R&D engineers, customers, CAE analysts, and other team members. The integration and importing of any geometry in one environment allow for minimal time loss.
Ease of use
ANSYS SpaceClaim is said to be one of the most user-friendly CAD tools that anyone can use with ease as it requires minimal training and the layout is neat and modern. With ANSYS SpaceClaim it is easy and pretty much straightforward to create or modify any 2D or 3D file. The direct product modeling paradigm of ANSYS SpaceClaim frees the users from the constraints of traditional concept modeling allowing you to focus better on your product design rather than the technology itself.
Versatility and Flexibility
Regardless of your formal training or modeling task, ANSYS SpaceClaim unique toolset allows the users to create concepts and edit 2D and 3D models that were created in other CAD software. The same tools that you use to make your models can now also be used to prepare those models for simulation, manufacturing and 3D printing.
Import procedure of ANSYS SpaceClaim
To import your geometry in ANSYS SpaceClaim, you can select your preferred geometry editor in the options panel via the tool menu in the ANSYS workbench.
ANSYS SpaceClaim direct modeler allows you to import a clean instance of a 3D model from any CAD software without the need for any history-based parameters. However, you cannot carry out a parametric study using the parameters that were defined in the original CAD model. First, you must import the file properly.
Within the ANSYS Workbench environment, there are different options for SpaceClaim file import depending on your workflow;
Importing CAD files into SCDM (SpaceClaim Direct Modeler) using Workbench
To import external CAD files into the ANSYS SCDM via workbench, follow these steps;
- Start ANSYS Workbench
- Create an empty geometry cell for the CAD file
- Right-click on the geometry cell and then select the ‘import geometry.’
- Then browse the CAD file and select it
- Before importing the geometry file, make sure the name of the file is correct and in proper geometry cell properties
- Right click on the geometry cell
- Now select ‘Edit Geometry in SpaceClaim.’
- Your external CAD file is now imported
This way your external CAD file will be imported in the ANSYS SpaceClaim using Workbench.
Importing SpaceClaim Geometry into the Design Modeler
To import the SpaceClaim geometry into the design modeler, follow these steps.
- Launch the ‘SpaceClaim Direct Modeler’
- Create geometry in ANSYS SpaceClaim and save it as a .scdoc file. You can also open an existing .scdoc file
- Launch your ANSYS Workbench
- Create a new geometry system in the project schematics
- Open a new DesignModeler Geometry by right-clicking on the geometry cell
- After the ANSYS DesignModeler is opened, select the menu item ‘File’ and then select ‘Attach to Active CAD Geometry.’
- Click ‘generate.’
Once all done, your ANSYS SpaceClaim geometry is imported into the design modeler.
How to import SpaceClaim Geometry into Mechanical APDL
Importing the SpaceClaim Geometry into the Mechanical APDL may be troublesome for some due to the difference in the file formats. To import SpaceClaim Geometry into Mechanical APDL, follow these steps;
- Open your ANSYS workbench
- Make an empty geometry cell in your project schematics
- Right click on the geometry cell and select ‘import geometry’ and browse to assign an external CAD file or .scdoc file
- If needed, edit the geometry in SpaceClaim DM
- Make a downstream connection to mechanical APDL
- Now refresh the ANSYS Mechanical APDL cell.
- This will transfer the file in SpaceClaim DM as an exported .anf file format
To import your SpaceClaim geometry, make sure that the file formats are saved properly as importing an inconsistent file format results in errors and failed imports.
In some cases, the user may require opening ANSYS workbench before SpaceClaim, to do so, the following steps are used;
- Open ANSYS workbench from your desktop
- Create an empty geometry cell
- Open the SpaceClaim Direct Modeler and create a geometry
- Make sure that the geometry that you wish to attach was saved in the .scdoc file format.
How to start ANSYS SpaceClaim before workbench
There are two different instances in which this can be achieved. One is when the geometry in the ANSYS SpaceClaim DM is not saved to a .scdoc file and other is when the file is already saved in the .scdoc format.
In the case, where the geometry in the SpaceClaim is saved in the .scdoc format, the following procedure is used;
- As discussed earlier, if the ANSYS SpaceClaim DM is already saved to a .scdoc file, then just double click the file that you want to view in ANSYS SpaceClaim
- Workbench will automatically open but will reroute you to SpaceClaim Direct Modeler editor which will behave as an add-in mode and there you can transfer your geometry into the Mechanical or Mesh.
In the case, where the file is not saved to a .scdoc format, the following procedure is used;
- Open your ANSYS SpaceClaim DM and create your desired geometry, however, do not save it just yet
- From your ‘prepare’ tab, create a geometry system in the project schematics
- In the ‘geometry filename,’ the property of the geometry cell will be empty
- The ‘CAD plug-in’ property will be set to “SpaceClaim ” if the initial geometry in the SpaceClaim DM was not saved to a .scdoc file format, which in our case, is not
- As soon as the workbench opens, the ANSYS SpaceClaim will behave as an add-in mode, and there you can transfer your geometry to the Mesh or Mechanical as per your requirements.
The future of ANSYS SpaceClaim
ANSYS SpaceClaim is set to become the primary 2D and 3D design modeler for ANSYS in the coming iterations of ANSYS. ANSYS SpaceClaim will replace the outdated ANSYS Design Modeler. With SpaceClaim being more robust, aesthetically modern, fast and efficient, ANSYS has now made it easier for the design and testing engineers to carry out their task much faster than ever before.
- ANSYS, 2015. ANSYS SpaceClaim. [Online] Available at: http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/Support/Tutorials/Essentials.aspx [Accessed 19th April 2019].
- ANSYS, 2018. ANSYS Discovery SpaceClaim. [Online] Available at: https://www.ansys.com/products/3d-design/ansys-spaceclaim [Accessed 20th April 2019].
- Wikipedia, 2015. SpaceClaim. [Online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceClaim [Accessed 18th April 2019].
ANSYS SpaceClaim is a multipurpose 3D modeling tool that delivers faster engineering results. This video will illustrate the many benefits of using it as a geometry modeling tool.What is Ansys SpaceClaim used for? ›
Ansys SpaceClaim is the perfect modeling solution for engineers who want access to 3D answers but don't have the time or inclination to learn complex traditional CAD systems. It provides you with tools to accelerate geometry preparation and get to simulation sooner while eliminating delays between design teams.Is SpaceClaim better than Solidworks? ›
When comparing SpaceClaim vs. Solidworks (a feature-based modeling style), SpaceClaim offers significant advantages in terms of speed and ease of use, and can manipulate any geometry regardless of the original file type- including STL files!What is the difference between SpaceClaim and Designmodeler? ›
Why: Spaceclaim only allows you to move/rotate about 1 axis at a time; whereas Design Modeler lets you setup axis for each object, and then match those axis together in a single move operation.Is Ansys a CAD software? ›
Ansys Motor-CAD is a dedicated, industry-leading tool for electric motor design and simulation. Motor-CAD's intuitive, template-based setup simplifies and automates the analysis process while its built-in electromagnetic, thermal and mechanical solvers offer valuable multiphysics insights into a motor design.How do I import a model into SpaceClaim? ›
- Select Open from the File menu or click in the Quick Access toolbar, or click the Insert tool in the Insert ribbon group on the Design. ...
- Select Check geometry to run the geometry check after the file is opened or imported. ...
- Navigate to and select the file you want to open or insert.
Overall: For simulation and analysis this is the best CAD software one can go for. The Latest version is an add-on with more useful feature to ANYSYS spaceclaim enables the user to get the job done.Is Ansys SpaceClaim free? ›
Request Your Free 30-Day Trial of Ansys SpaceClaim. Ansys SpaceClaim provides multipurpose 3D modeling for faster engineering results. Create new concepts, edit existing models, and get quick answers to engineering questions.How do you draw Ansys SpaceClaim? ›
ANSYS Spaceclaim tutorials. Basic Sketch, Module #3 - YouTubeWhat is Ansys design modeler? ›
The ANSYS DesignModeler tool provides these unique simulation features, such as splitting surfaces for applying loads, defining welds or creating regions around models that represent flow volumes for fluid flow analysis. A CAD model also may contain much more detail than the simulation.
What is Ansys Discovery? Ansys Discovery is a simulation-driven 3D design software tool that combines interactive modeling and multiple simulation capabilities, allowing you to address critical design challenges earlier in the product design process.What is a Ansys Workbench? ›
The Ansys Workbench platform lets you integrate data across engineering simulations to create more accurate models more efficiently. Ansys Workbench makes it easier to make more informed design choices by coordinating all your simulation data in one place.What type of software is ANSYS? ›
Ansys Fluent is the industry-leading fluid simulation software known for its advanced physics modeling capabilities and industry leading accuracy.How do I start learning ANSYS? ›
- Learn mechanical engineering. While learning mechanical engineering, you should think of it as a way to make lives better. ...
- Learn physics. ...
- Take short courses. ...
- Attend training sessions for Ansys. ...
- Familiarize yourself with important terms. ...
- Download the Ansys software.
Creo Ansys Simulation is CAE technology that engineers use to see how well a model will perform under real-world operating conditions.How do you convert STL to solid in Spaceclaim? ›
ANSYS SpaceClaim 2021 STL convert to Geometry - YouTubeHow do you update geometry in Spaceclaim? ›
ANSYS AIM and ANSYS SpaceClaim Importing a Geometry - YouTubeWhat are the advantages of using the space claim software? ›
SpaceClaim provides a solution for performing any simulation, be it mechanical, fluids, or electromagnetics. Geometry can be simplified and shaped faster before simulation, and its ease of use simplifies the design process for every engineer.Is SpaceClaim part of Ansys? ›
It was acquired by Ansys in May 2014, Inc, and was integrated in subsequent versions of Ansys Simulation packages as a built-in 3D modeler. SpaceClaim Corporation markets SpaceClaim Engineer directly to end-user and indirectly by other channels.How is meshing done in Ansys? ›
Meshing is the process of turning irregular shapes into more recognizable volumes called “elements.” Before you start meshing, you must first upload a geometry or CAD model into, for example, Ansys Mechanical to begin the simulation process.
SpaceClaim document created and used by SpaceClaim, a solid modeling CAD application; contains a 3D design, which includes IDs for 3D objects such as surfaces, edges, solids, bodies, and faces that appear in your design. SCDOC files are saved in a proprietary format and are Zip archives.How do you draw 3d in SpaceClaim? ›
SpaceClaim 2010 3D Sketching - YouTubeHow do you extrude in SpaceClaim? ›
- Click Pull. ...
- Select the edge or edges you want to extrude. ...
- Select the Extrude. ...
- If the arrow pointing the direction you want to pull is not highlighted, click the arrow or press Tab to change the direction.
- Click and drag the edge in the direction of the Pull.
To edit a sketch
Click and drag the line or point you want to edit. Alt+click and drag if you want to detach the line or point before moving it. Ctrl+click and drag to create a copy. Enter a value to dimension the move.
This webinar explores SpaceClaim's ability to add constraints and parameters to 2D sketched geometry, which can be saved and are replayable with a block record function.Can you 3D model in Ansys? ›
3D Design. Product Design Solutions. Ansys 3D design tools enable engineering teams to significantly boost productivity, spur innovation and speed time to market. 3D design software allows your team to make smarter, faster decisions by reducing product development costs and improving workflows.What is Ansys design modeler? ›
The ANSYS DesignModeler tool provides these unique simulation features, such as splitting surfaces for applying loads, defining welds or creating regions around models that represent flow volumes for fluid flow analysis. A CAD model also may contain much more detail than the simulation.What is Ansys discovery? ›
What is Ansys Discovery? Ansys Discovery is a simulation-driven 3D design software tool that combines interactive modeling and multiple simulation capabilities, allowing you to address critical design challenges earlier in the product design process.How do you parameterize dimensions in SpaceClaim? ›
For parameterizing the feature, move the respective geometry to a new component and a P checkbox will appear next to the dimensions whenever the part is active. By checking the P checkbox the respective feature is parameterized.How do I create a named selection in SpaceClaim? ›
To create a named selection
- Select the objects you want to include in the group. ...
- Click Create Group in the Groups. ...
- (Optional) Rename the group. ...
- Send your change to ANSYS:
Introduction To ANSYS (Part2) : CREATING YOUR FIRST 3D MODELCan we do Modelling in Ansys? ›
Ansys Fluent is the industry-leading fluid simulation software known for its advanced physics modeling capabilities and industry leading accuracy. This free trial comes with a step-by-step demonstration simulating conjugate heat transfer (CHT) on a heat sink.What is geometry in Ansys? ›
The CAESES ACT app is an ANSYS geometry interface by FRIENDSHIP SYSTEMS that allows CFD engineers to automate the entire geometry generation process, for the purpose of running shape optimization and design studies.How is meshing done in ANSYS? ›
Meshing is the process of turning irregular shapes into more recognizable volumes called “elements.” Before you start meshing, you must first upload a geometry or CAD model into, for example, Ansys Mechanical to begin the simulation process.What is a ANSYS Workbench? ›
The Ansys Workbench platform lets you integrate data across engineering simulations to create more accurate models more efficiently. Ansys Workbench makes it easier to make more informed design choices by coordinating all your simulation data in one place.What is the full form of ANSYS? ›
The Full Form of ANSYS is Analysis of Systems.
Systems analysis is the process by which an individual (s) studies a system such that an information system can be analyzed, modeled, and a logical alternative can be chosen.
These ANSYS advantages add value to the engineering design process by delivering efficiency, driving innovation and reducing physical constraints enabling simulated tests that might not be possible otherwise. Price: Rs. 15 lakh to Rs. 30 lakh.Is ANSYS free? ›
Ansys for Students
Used by millions around the world, students can take advantage of our free engineering software for homework, capstone projects and student competitions. Our renewable products can be downloaded at no cost by students across the globe and installed on any supported MS Windows 64-bit machine.